Saturday, August 13, 2005

 

My poem

(I originally posted this to Folk of the Fringe on 3/2/2000, but have since amended it)

We all are familiar with the following verses penned by the hand-me-down wife of both Joe Smith and Brigham Young, Eliza Snow:

In the heavens are parents single?
No; the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've a Mother there.


What you may not realize is that the above verses constitute rankest blasphemy and are an anathema to true Christians. If Eliza Snow could have seen the fiery torments that awaited her in the hereafter, she no doubt would have repented in sackcloth and ashes all the rest of her days. Nevertheless, I’ve composed verses of my own to refute her base-born heresy:

Is God, CELESTIAL SOVEREIGN, married?
No; Scripture the truth lays bare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I've no "Mother" there.


I am reminded of when I was in high school and my English teacher was discussing the Bible as literature. She suggested that Genesis 1.26-27 might have a unisex god in mind. Being a faithful Mormon at the time, I piped up that my religion taught that God had a wife. One of my class mates then gave me an incredulous look and asked, "What religion is that?" I cannot help but be embarrassed nowadays that I actually believed such pagan nonsense.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com