Friday, August 19, 2005

 

Some favorite verses concerning Wisdom

She is more beautiful than the sun, and excels every constellation of the stars. Compared with the light she is found to be superior, for it is succeeded by the night, but against wisdom evil does not prevail.

(Wisdom 7:29-30)

For she is a breath of the power of God, and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty; therefore nothing defiled gains entrance to her. For she is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness.

(Wisdom 7:25-26)

Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice. At the busiest corner she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: “How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? Give heed to my reproof; I will pour out my thoughts to you; I will make my words known to you…For waywardness kills the simple, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but those who listen to me will be secure and will live at ease, without dread of disaster.”

(Proverbs 1:20-23, 32-33)

[Wisdom] cries out: “To you, O people, I call, and my cry is to all that live. O simple ones, learn prudence; acquire intelligence, you who lack it. Hear, for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right; for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They are all straight to one who understands and right to those who find knowledge. Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold; for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her. I, wisdom, live with prudence, and I attain knowledge and discretion…And now, my children, listen to me: happy are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and do not neglect it.

(Proverbs 8:3-12, 32)

[Wisdom calls] from the highest places in the town, “You that are simple, turn in here!” To those without sense she says, “Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine I have mixed. Lay aside immaturity, and live, and walk in the way of insight.”

(Proverbs 9:3-6)

[Wisdom] goes about seeking those worthy of her, and she graciously appears to them in their paths, and meets them in every thought. The beginning of wisdom is the most sincere desire for instruction, and concern for instruction is love of her, and love of her is the keeping of her laws, and giving heed to her laws is assurance of immortality, and immortality brings one near to God; so the desire for wisdom leads to a kingdom.

(Wisdom 6:16-20)

…[I]n every generation she passes into holy souls and makes them friends of God, and prophets; for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.

(Wisdom 7:27-28)

For [Wisdom] is an initiate in the knowledge of God, and an associate in his works…Because of her I shall have immortality, and leave an everlasting remembrance to those who come after me.

(Wisdom 8:4, 13)

Send [Wisdom] forth from the holy heavens, and from the throne of your glory send her, that she may labor at my side, and that I may learn what is pleasing to you. For she knows and understands all things, and she will guide me wisely in my actions and guard me with her glory.

(Wisdom 9:10-11)

“…Happy is the one who listens to [Wisdom], watching daily at [her] gates, waiting beside [her] doors. For whoever finds [Wisdom] finds life and obtains favor from the LORD; but those who miss [her] injure themselves; all who hate [Wisdom] love death.”

(Proverbs 8:34-36)

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com